Dredge upgrades. Thoughts?
Didn't get much nozzle time in this season, as I got sidetracked by women a bit this summer... but I've been making up for it over the last month. The season is about to wind down though, as the water is getting to be very cold and winter is upon us once again.
Here's a pic of my mats last week, after a good two hour run. The top Talon mat is almost bare, except for the material at the very head of it, where it is under the mat clamp. The last River Hog (second from last mat), seems like it is loading up with a bunch of bigger pebbles and blonde sands; it's trimmed fairly high, and with a cutting profile... I think I'm going to trim it down like the first two. I forget what pitch I'm running... somewhere around 10 degrees or so, I believe (I'll measure again the next time I'm on site, or when I bring the dredge home for the season).
I'm also thinking about a new mat setup, for this specific location, as there is a LOT of flour gold everywhere I look, and a few bigger flakes here and there (-8 mesh and smaller), but very very little to no pickers or nuggets. I will post a pic of this years gold from that location in the coming months, when I get it cleaned (I'm thinking Christmas is a good day to process those super cons!).
I'll be looking for suggestions as to what to run to target the flour gold next year. I was thinking UR (in the crash box), Talon, Talon, Razorback, Razorback, then 2 of either Downdraft, Motherlode, or Washer to finish.
Reminder, this is a 2" with a crashbox, a GXH50/P90 pump, and a 10"x40" sluice. I'm also going to change up my mat clamping system, as I believe that the current one is adding to much turbulence to the system.
Hey Scrapper! I sent the same picture to them. Mike got back to me and said that it appears the mats are running about right based on that picture. He also suggested that at some point I might add an extension, with some Motherlode in it. I wish I could, but I can't. The last inch or two of the current sluice is already in the water. He didn't respond to my question about UR inside the crash box. Also, I didn't ask about the other mating configuration I have in mind for flour gold.
I brought my box home yesterday after a 2 hour run. Here's a pic of my new mat clamp installed; it's made of "carpet bar" from the local hardware store. It's for clamping carpet down at an edge, where it meets flooring of a lower height.
And here is one of it installed, but before reinstalling the crash box. You can see the old clamp down at the end of the box. It was much taller; it went up over the first main "riffle" of the Talon mat. I think this new one is going to smooth things out even further, and it puts the mats a little further down the box, which will keep that first piece of Talon out of the violent water coming back down the front of the crash box.
I think I've got one more good run in me this season, before I can't stand the cold any longer; I'll take video and give a report... winter is coming FAST in northern New Hampshire!!! This was today, up near my dredge site:
🤠 🤠 🤠
I already have a rubber dampener mat on the crash box; it's flipped up over the front of the crash box in that picture, but you can see it in the third test video I posted back in May (it smoothed things out nicely!). I really think a lot of the turbulence was due to the old mat clamp I was using... I'll find out Saturday, as the weather report looks decent!
I don't think I can raise the box any higher; the input of the crash box is already almost 2 feet above the waters surface, and I've noticed some drop in suction as a result.
Thank you for response I was thinking more like a reverse ramp riffle but made with a small stiff piece of rubber that you can adjust which creates a small pool to give the finer gold a chance to settle some. I know you do not have much room to work with and with your crash box setting close on your sluice may not be possible. just want say good luck this weekend hope you fine plenty of gold. your sluice does look good running.